German Johannes Fischbach won Red Bull Valparaíso Cerro Abajo 2016 after a record-breaking time in the spectacular mountain bike downhill street race this Sunday.
Valparaiso (Chile) - Racing against the clock through the streets and alleyways of the UNESCO World Heritage site’s historic quarter, Fischbach clocked a time of two minutes 53.30 seconds to win by just over a second from Slovakia’s Filip Polc.
It was a record time in the 14th staging of the event which saw riders negotiate some of the most testing corners round the cobbled streets and stairs along the 1.8km course in the coastal port.
Third place went to Brazilian Bernardo Cruz with local favourite Gustavo Ortiz just over six seconds off the pace in fourth place after around 50 riders from across the world were whittled down to 23 for the final run.
“I’m super stoked to have taken first place,” Fischbach said after the event.
“I had a great run, sometimes over the limit, but I paddled hard, pushed hard and I’m just so happy right now.”
1. Johannes Fischbach (ALE) 2:53,302;
2. Filip Polc (ESL) 02:54,409;
3. Bernardo Cruz (BRA) 02:55,767;
4. Gustavo Ortiz (CHI) 02:59,334;
5. Matías Núñez (CHL) 03:00,487;
6. Mauricio Acuña (CHL) 03:01,284;
7. Santiago De Santiago (ARG) 03:02,463;
8. Pedro Ferreira (CHL) 03:04,077;
9. Nicolás Rodríguez (CHL) 03:06,356;
10. Alberto Nicolas (CHI) 03:07,027.